These delicious and buttery breakfast treats, get an extra lift with whipped egg whites and some tangy sweetness with a homemade blueberry sauce.
Makes: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups white flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, yolk and whites separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberries, for sauce
- Juice from 1/2 lemon, for sauce
- 2 tablespoons water, for sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, for sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for sauce
- Butter for serving
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Step 2: Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add milk, egg yolks, vanilla and melted butter. Stir until just combined.
Step 3: In a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter until just combined, but smooth.
Step 4: Heat a waffle iron at medium heat and pour 1/2-3/4 cup batter. Be sure to re-grease in between each waffle so nothing sticks. Once cooked, place the warm waffles onto a cooling rack so the outsides remain crispy.
Step 5: While waffles are cooking, mix blueberries, lemon, water, cornstarch and sugar in a small pot over medium heat until boiling. Let boil for 1 minute, then turn down heat and let summer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over fresh waffles.