This under the sea themed cake starts with a classic white cake, topped with fluffy whipped buttercream and some white chocolate seashells. It's sure to bring happiness, color and great pictures to any party or get together (or if you are me, just a random Sunday...)!
Cake prep time (includes frosting): 35 minutes Cake bake/cool time: 90 minutes
Cake decor time: 20 minutes Total time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour cake pans of your choice.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, egg whites, vanilla extract and whole milk.
- Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- If you are coloring: divide the batter evenly into as many bowls as colors you're making. Add food coloring and mix until you get the color you want.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)
- 3 teaspoons clear vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a medium mixing bowl with an electric beater, cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and beat on low speed.
- On medium speed, slowly add in the powdered sugar until fluffy.
- If it starts getting too thick, add in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream at a time.
- Once everything is combined, beat for another 3 minutes on medium/high speed until it looks whipped.
MERMAID DECOR SUPPLIES
- Crushed graham crackers
- White chocolate seashells (I colored mine purple, green and pink)
- White chocolate mermaid tails (I used these molds)
- Various Wilton star decorating tips
- Wilton decorating bags